EDCI 335 Learning Design - Lauren Ingbrigtson

Behaviourism, Cognitivism, Constructivism

Throughout reading Chapter 11: Behaviourism, Cognitivism, Constructivism, I struggled to pinpoint my current teaching style. I understand and accept why each learning theory is important as a learner and educator. With that said, I do not think one can vastly survive without the others.

I believe that environment is a major impact on learners but also educators. Hence, the fuel for one’s behaviour. From the culture created within a school, the environment within the classroom and other natural causes that follow. That could be anything from artificial versus natural light, flexible seating, cluttered walls and other surfaces, learning pods, etc. The physical state of a learning environment can have a direct effect on participants. For example, a kindergarten classroom is catered to its learners. Books, toys, manipulatives, supplies, etc., are all within reach. Their desks and chairs are also an appropriate size. If this were not the case, this could negatively affect their ability to learn. Thus, influencing how an educator, such as myself, would teach in said environment.

As I continued to read, the learning theory I would least associate my teaching style became prominent. Cognitivism. I believe learners are more than vessels for processing information. Yes, the collection of data is part of being a learner and teaching how is the job of an educator, however the complete learning package is much more than that. One could have an abundance of knowledge yet could be emotionally illiterate. This learning theory does not satisfy the learner as a whole.

Towards the end of the chapter, it became apparent that I would most associate my learning experience as constructivism. Though, does that translate to my teaching? As much as possible, I try to create opportunities for learners to gain knowledge through doing. As I once said, “working with your hands, creates a physically reward (Ingbrigtson, 2019).” By giving a learner appropriate amount of autonomy it can greatly influence how they view learning. It also allows the learner to see how their actions directly impact their learning and the consequences that may follow. For example, if a student fails to complete an assignment and their grade reflects that, it not only shows them that there are repercussions for their actions, but they can shape their path of learning for better or worse.

To conclude, my current teaching style reflects all three learning theories. Though, not all the learning theories are weighted equally. Constructivism, behaviourism and then cognitivism.